Friday, September 3, 2010

#1 best song of the 90's? Pavement? What?















Today I got a real blast from the past.....Stumbled upon pitchforks staff "the top 200 tracks of the 90's". My friend had said something about it on facebook.

And number one was Pavement: Gold Soundz?!

My first feeling was......god I love that song. That was the song that I listened to over and over.....and while my friends argued whether Wowee Zowee was better than Slanted and Enchanted, I was thinking "what about Crooked Rain?". Then it transported me back to when I first listened to Crooked Rain. Those opening chords of Silence Kid, the lovely twang of Range Life, the warm tones of Elevate Me Later, or the hopelessness of Stop Breathin.

For me though it was always still about Gold Soundz. But how could that song possibly be #1. What other songs were on this list?

Mazzy Star - Fade into You
Belle and Sebastian - The State I Am In
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Bjork - Hyperballad
Radiohead - Paranoid Android
Pulp - Common People
and more....

Pretty darn good list.....maybe I should be working at Pitchfork, chatting at the watercooler with people whose hearts stop when Bjork comes on the radio, or they flip the channel and hear Pulp screaming out of their little TV speakers..rather than the usual garbage played on the elevator station at my job.

I turn to my wife with this big grin, about how cool it would be if Pavement was really worthy of the number one spot. What is wrong with that anyways? What IS wrong with Pavement being #1 on that list? Is Gold Soundz a good enough song? Why have I turned my back on this band that I used to obsess over?

Anyways, I'm not sure why this was such a big deal to me.....I guess maybe because of how little praise Pavement Gets. Half the people I know now in my life never heard of them. They were always mentioned in the same breath as Sonic Youth, but never before them.

So maybe a few more people will read my buddy's facebook post and click the list and think..."who the hell is Pavement and why are THEY #1?" and then seek them out and download Crooked Rain. Maybe a few of the people that went to the Toronto Island this past June and wondered why Broken Social Scene would open for this unheard of band will try to learn more about them.

So to the staff of Pitchfork......thanks for the reminder. You've just put one of my favorite bands of all time back on my playlist. To everyone reading this, click below and enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment